How To Properly Care For Your T-shirts
Posted: Mar 25 2015
How to properly care for your T-shirts
T-shirts are one of the most fashionable forms of casual wear for both men and women and are available in a wide selection of styles and fabrics. At LAYOP, we know your T-shirts are special to you and proper laundry care is crucial.
With a few simple tricks of "T-shirt maintenance" you can actually help keep your T-shirts around a lot longer.
Washing Machine Tips:
- Turn your washer settings to the “delicate” cycle, and use the cold/cold water temperature selection. Using cold water and delicate settings will help preserve both the colors of your T-shirt and the print.
- Use a mild detergent and softener - anything with polyester is prone to static. Steer clear of laundry detergent that contain bleach.
- To lift any stain, rub stain remover on the area and allow it to sit for 10 to 20 minutes before laundering. If the stained garment is white, consider soaking the fabric for 24 hours in a gallon of water and 1/3 cup of automatic dishwashing soap before throwing it in the machine.
- Washing your t-shirts with like colors is definitely important, but you should also remember to wash with like fabrics as well. You don’t want to wash your t-shirts with blue jeans or heavy jackets. Instead, wash with other garments that are made from similar or softer fabric, like silk or other jersey knit cotton t-shirts.
- Never tumble dry your T-shirts on the heat cycle. Always let them tumble dry at room temperature.
- If possible, hang your shirt on a hanger and let it air dry naturally. Do not hang the shirt by stretching out the neck – always pull the hanger through the bottom of the shirt.
- It is fine to use a moderately warm iron on your shirt.
Bonus Tips and Tricks:
- Remove odors from vintage or thrift clothing by spritzing them with a mixture of one part vodka, two parts water.
- Remove white deodorant marks from a garment by gently rubbing the protective foam used on hangers against the fabric.
- Never put a garment on immediately after ironing, as this can actually cause new wrinkles to form. Instead, let it sit for five minutes to set the press.
- Due to its high level of surfactants, Dawn dish detergent is especially successful at removing grease and oil stains from clothing.